Do you work in engineering already?
Or are you currently considering an engineering job in the UK?
Here are ten surprising facts about the industry:*
- Engineering jobs make up 19% of the UK’s total employment
- 59% of all engineering apprentices who started in 2014/ 2015 were 19 years old or over
- 1 in 8 people in engineering jobs in the UK are women
- In 2016 there was a 15% rise in those studying an engineering related Masters compared to the previous year
- 68% of those who obtained a first-class engineering degree in 2014/ 2015 were in full-time work after six months
- 51% of 11-16 year olds said they would consider an engineering career
- On average professional engineers earn more than any other professional
- 65 million engineering jobs are predicted to be available by 2024
- For every £1 made in engineering, £1.45 is made somewhere else
- £90 million was set aside in 2017’s Spring Budget to provide 1,000 new PhD places for STEM subjects
Have you learned something new about your industry?
Or do you want to make a difference to these statistics by starting your career as an engineer?