An exciting opportunity has arisen at our site in Bishop Auckland for an Assembly Manager to join our growing business. This position will be on a full time, permanent basis.
Reporting to the CEO the successful applicant will manage the assembly process to maximise output for both SG Transmissions and Geofire Product, through the effective and efficient use of labour, processes and systems. The role has a key focus on proactively driving and implementing continuous improvement in a precision engineering environment.
Duties will include
- To develop a world class assembly plant
- To continually develop an assembly process to deliver a range of high precision, volume products
- To achieve and maintain right first time and on time delivery of products
- To continuously drive efficiency and output, with process controls and automation
- To maintain all site facilities, with preventative schedules
- To implement best practice assembly methods at all times
- To be an integral part of the management team, supporting new business opportunities and contributing to operational and management meetings
- To proactively drive the assembly strategic objectives to achieve the desired outcome
- To effectively manage headcount levels, skill levels and motivation
- To ensure clear communication and promote a proactive culture
- To ensure the correct skill levels and/or training is provided to deliver productivity and meet the business needs and expectations
- To maintain good working relationships to ensure you have a motivated and informed workforce
- To ensure staff adhere and work to company policies, procedures and processes
- To demonstrate effective people management skills through coaching, performance management and dealing with any employee issues in a timely manner
- To ensure you and your team comply with all HSE policy and procedures at all times.
- To work in conjunction with the HSE advisor:
- Actively lead HSE audit processes
- Investigate and support all accidents and incidents
- Ensure all of the required standard operating procedures and risk assessments are in place with regular reviews and revisions
- Ensure all equipment and machinery are safe to operate and comply to the relevant statutory standards with safe operation procedures in place
- Drive the HSE objectives to ensure they are monitored and updated as required and reflected in the HSE action plan
- To work in a safe manner; driving positive behaviour and leading by example with regard to the company’s health, safety and environmental policies
Quality and Continuous Improvements
- To ensure quality systems and procedures are being adhered to (by your team) within your scope of work i.e.
- First and last off inspections
- Completing and recording in-process checks
- Capturing Statistical Process Control (SPC) data where necessary
- Completing accurate, timely documentation
- To support the quality team with root cause analysis and subsequent counter measures
- To create Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and component inspection sheets to ensure consistent best practice is adopted across the shop floor
- To liaise with design engineers with regard to jig and fixture design, routing amendments and ensuring processes are capable of achieving drawing tolerances
- To support the Production Planner with amendments to work lists on a daily basis
- To promote and ensure high standards of quality at all times ensuring compliance with all regulatory requirements for quality
- To drive good housekeeping
- To drive and implement continuous improvements:
- Actively support and engage in lean activities, ensuring areas for improvement are highlighted and acted upon
- Trouble shoot manufacturing problems to achieve optimal manufacturing outcome
- Collate and report data to identify problem areas
Applicants must have a minimum of 10 years’ experience in a manufacturing environment and an HNC level or equivalent in an engineering / manufacturing discipline would be preferable. The successful candidate will have a management / leadership qualification with experience of managing teams in assembly processes, including manning levels and machine capacity planning.
The successful candidate will be results orientated with the ability to plan and deliver against production deadlines whilst adopting and implementing new ideas and processes. They will be passionate and enthusiastic with keen attention to detail and accuracy. They will also be a strong leader to inspire confidence and motivate staff in a changing work environment.
Working hours are 38.75 per week.
What we offer
- Employee assistance programme including WeCare wellbeing app
- Cycle to work scheme
- Car salary sacrifice scheme
- BE Rewards discounts and cashback
- Pension scheme
- Free on-site parking
Closing date: 25 October 2021
This vacancy falls under our ‘refer a friend’ scheme. If you have been notified of this vacancy by a current employee of British Engines, please choose the option ‘refer a friend’ when stating where you heard about the vacancy.
If you do not have an email address, please forward a CV to HR Department, British Engines, Q6 Quorum Business Park, Benton Lane, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE12 8BT.
We welcome applications from all sections of the community.
If you have not been contacted within four weeks then your application has been unsuccessful this time.