An exciting opportunity has arisen at our site at St. Peters, Newcastle upon Tyne for a Buyer to join our growing business. This position will be on a full time, permanent basis. Working hours are 70 per fortnight worked on a 9 day fortnight pattern (Week 1 Monday to Friday and Week 2 Monday to Thursday).
Reporting to the Supply Chain Manager, the Buyer will have responsibility for controlling the purchasing function to minimise stock and to ensure procurement is conducted with maximum commercial advantage for all project procurement spend. They will continually develop a sustainable cost effective supply chain with suppliers that has a strong focus on safety, reliability and continuous improvement.
They will also be expected to ensure the efficient utilisation of Material Resource Planning (MRP) scheduled dates to deliver effective production planning and control of the valve materials and Bought out Components (BOCs) to the point of use.
Duties will include
- To deliver successful project outcomes – measured through quality, cost and delivery metrics
- To negotiate cost and lead time reductions with suppliers and achieve reduction plans in line with department targets
- To ensure that quality assurance procedures are being adhered to and to strive for quality excellence and in doing so minimising non-conformities across division
- To work within a team and be able to communicate effectively at all levels within the business
- To control, issue and receive supplier status reports and maintain KPIs’ for use in the Vendor Rating System (VRS)
- To expedite purchase orders by telephone / email when required and report updates to the business
- To ensure purchase costs are in line with estimates and identify overspends for investigation
- To work in accordance with the business’s planning tools including (MRP) and proactively manager and communicate where items fall outside of the business needs
- To make prompt resolution of any invoice queries raised by the accounts department
- To support sales when required to effectively assess bids so that quoted lead-times and costs are realistic and have considered resource, capability and available capacity across the supply chain
- To work in a manner that is consistent with the requirements of company ethics and ensure both personal and business objectives are met
- To work in a safe manner; driving positive behaviour and leading by example with regard to the company’s health, safety and environmental policies
- To carry out any other duties not listed above as may reasonably be expected
The successful candidate will have at least 3 years’ experience in the supply market for raw, BOC and sub contract supply.
They will have a good understanding of machining and manufacturing processes. They will be proficient in Microsoft Office software and have affective application of “Best Practice” procurement and Continuous Improvement practices.
The successful candidate will have strong communication and interpersonal skills. They will demonstrate excellent problem solving and analytical skills and have the ability to show initiative, creativity and strong business acumen. They will have effective management of time and workload; with the ability to identify management critical activities. They will show excellent relationship and change management skills and have the ability to work collaboratively with cross-functional teams (internal and external) and influence key stakeholders at all levels.
What we offer:
The successful candidate will receive a ‘new starter’ payment of £375.00 after 6 continuous months of employment and a further £375.00 after 12 continuous months (payment is subject to the terms and conditions of the scheme).
- Employee assistance programme including WeCare wellbeing app
- Cycle to work scheme
- Car salary sacrifice scheme
- Holiday buy and sell
- Pension scheme
- Training and development
- Free on-site parking
27 May 2022
If you do not have an email address, please forward a CV to HR Department, British Engines, Q6 Quorum Business Park, Benton Lane, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE12 8BT.
This vacancy falls under our ‘refer a friend’ scheme. If you have been notified of this vacancy by a current employee of British Engines, please choose the option ‘refer a friend’ when stating where you heard about the vacancy.
We welcome applications from all sections of the community.
If you have not been contacted within four weeks then your application has been unsuccessful this time.