An exciting opportunity has arisen at our site in Cramlington for a Design Engineer to join our growing business. This position will be on a full time, permanent basis.
Reporting to the Product Development Manager, you will project manage the design and development of new and bespoke products from concept to market launch, as determined through business development and customer requirements.
Duties will include
- To contribute to the completion of design and development projects in line with the approved stage gate process
- To plan out & manage project tasks to agreed timelines
- To use initiative to develop new products or design innovative solutions to improve the design of existing products from briefs provided
- To follow a patent process to protect innovative solutions & be able to review existing patents for infringement throughout the design process
- To prepare technical drawings using 3D computer aided design (CAD) modelling and 2D drawing software provided
- To undertake when required modification of drawings and components in line with quality assurance (QA) systems and procedures
- To generate and maintain part lists/bill of materials and the control of approved copies in line with QA procedures
- To design products for high volume manufacture (forming, fabrication, welding, turned and milled parts)
- To design products for plastic injection moulding or metal dye casting
- To review engineering of products to reduce material & optimise cycle times
- To acquire cost estimates for the new products
- To prepare test samples & conduct testing in line with the requirements of each new product development at each stage of product development
- To plan out a test matrix for full validation of the product at each stage in the development, interpreting the test results and conclusions and to present the summary to the team
- To generate test reports and store correctly in a manner described in the QA procedures
- To contribute with improvements to current test methods and equipment
- To assist the certification team in witnessed testing and producing approval drawings for third party certification bodies
- To provide technical assistance to the sales department or directly to customers in terms of product information, problem solving and application training when required
- To be familiar with and work in accordance with all quality assurance systems operated within CMP
- To promote a safe working environment by directly challenging or reporting unsafe practices and hazardous working conditions and by making suggestions where improvements can or should be made
- To work in a safe manner; driving positive behaviour and leading by example with regard to the company’s health, safety and environmental policies
- To carry out any other duties not listed above as may reasonably be expected
The successful candidate will have a suitable qualification in engineering or product design and will be highly skilled with 3D CAD modelling and producing technical drawings. Experience in research and development and working with tight tolerances are essential.
It would also be advantageous if the candidate had experience of working in a sheet metal fabrication, with specific experience of metal forming and welding techniques. Also designing for manufacture of high volume turned, milled and injection moulded parts. Knowledge of relevant European and International standards and Directives would also be beneficial.
To ensure timely delivery of products to the market the candidate must have good organisation, problem solving and time management skills, as well as the ability to create innovative products, whilst still maintaining attention to detail.
Working hours are 35 per week.
What we offer:
- Employee assistance programme including WeCare wellbeing app
- Cycle to work scheme
- Car salary sacrifice scheme
- Holiday buy and sell
- BE Rewards discounts and cashback
- Pension scheme
- Training and development
- Free on-site parking
29 October 2021
If you do not have an email address, please forward a CV to HR Department, British Engines, Q6 Quorum Business Park, Benton Lane, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE12 8BT.
This vacancy falls under our ‘refer a friend’ scheme. If you have been notified of this vacancy by a current employee of British Engines, please choose the option ‘refer a friend’ when stating where you heard about the vacancy.
We welcome applications from all sections of the community.
If you have not been contacted within four weeks then your application has been unsuccessful this time.