An exciting opportunity has arisen at our site in Bishop Auckland for a Design Engineer to join our growing business. This position will be on a full time, permanent basis.
Reporting to the Technical Manager, the successful candidate will project manage the design and development of new and bespoke products from concept to market launch, as determined through business development and customer requirements.
Duties will include
- To develop the company’s core business activities and ensure compatibility with operational procedures
- To work with the Technical Manager and Quality Manager to support and improve existing products and developing new products in order to expand the company’s range providing support to all functions within the organisation
- To design and manage the engineers working on transmission products developing engineering core business activities ensuring compatibility with the company operational procedures
- To undertake timely conversion of enquiries into development samples adding new complimentary product lines to broaden the company’s offering and collating new supplier pricing to enable realistic profitable price estimates
- To locate, where appropriate, evaluate and work with new suppliers to improve the technical function or processes used by the company in the manufacture or testing of its products
- To provide technical support directly to customers, suppliers and the sales team. This may from time to time involve some travel within the UK as well as overseas
- To utilise and maintain 3-D Solid Works computer aided design (CAD) system in conjunction with Glovia Manufacturing Resource Planning System (MRP) to effectively manage products including, but not limited to, bills of material, assembly drawings and detail drawings
- To liaise, where appropriate, with the Quality Manager, Operations Manager and CEO to optimise product designs, quality and to minimise costs
- To work within and develop test facilities to meet the requirements of research and product development
- To ensure that you work in a safe manner and comply with the company’s Health, Safety and Environmental Policy
The successful candidate will have a minimum of an HNC or equivalent in Mechanical Engineering / Mechatronics Engineering. Knowledge and experience of understanding the principles of design, model creation and detail drawings as well as manufacturing processes and applications is essential. They should have the ability to read and understand mechanical drawings, producing to a recognised standard and experience of working with 3D CAD packages (SolidWorks or similar). It is essential for applicants to have experience of designing precision machined, close tolerance, turned and milled components and skilled in the application of ISO limits and fits.
Either direct experience of electromagnetic clutch or brake product design or similar experience in a parallel field (i.e. Solenoids or Electrical Motors) would be desirable as would a good understanding of electrical/electronic principles. Experience of using and programming programmable logic controllers and/or motor speed controllers, design for manufacture, coil winding, encapsulation techniques and finite element analysis (FEA) (Stress, Deflection & Electromagnetic) would also be desirable.
The successful candidate should be results orientated with the ability to plan and deliver against business deadlines, focussed with keen attention to detail and accurate with strong proven problem solving abilities. They must be adaptable to a changing work environment, proactive, positive and have an enthusiastic approach. Applicants should have the ability to adopt and implement new ideas and processes, be customer focussed providing a high level of customer service with effective time management, problem solving and organisational skills.
Working hours are 38.75 per week.
What we offer
- Employee assistance programme including WeCare wellbeing app
- Cycle to work scheme
- Car salary sacrifice scheme
- Pension scheme
- Training and development
- Free on-site parking
The successful candidate will receive a ‘new starter’ payment of £375.00 after 6 continuous months of employment and a further £375.00 after 12 continuous months (payment is subject to the terms and conditions of the scheme)
27th May 2022
If you do not have an email address, please forward a CV to HR Department, British Engines, Q6 Quorum Business Park, Benton Lane, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE12 8BT.
This vacancy falls under our ‘refer a friend’ scheme. If you have been notified of this vacancy by a current employee of British Engines, please choose the option ‘refer a friend’ when stating where you heard about the vacancy.
We welcome applications from all sections of the community.
If you have not been contacted within four weeks then your application has been unsuccessful this time.