An exciting opportunity has arisen at our site in Cramlington for a Design Engineer to join our growing business. This position will be on a full time, permanent basis and will be based in the cleat engineering department.
Reporting to the Cleat Engineering Manager, the Design Engineer will project manage the design and development of new and bespoke products from concept to market launch, as determined through business development and customer requirements. They will also assist in the delivery of key project milestones, as well as providing technical support to a number of internal and external stakeholders.
Duties will include
- To contribute to the completion of design and development projects in line with the approved stage gate process
- To use initiative to develop new products or design innovative solutions to improve the design of existing products from briefs provided
- To value engineering of current and new products to reduce cycle time and material utilisation
- To estimate costs for new products
- To design products for high volume manufacture (forming, fabrication and welding), whilst constantly liaising with production engineering
- To design products for plastic injection moulding or metal die casting
- To ensure timely preparation of all technical drawings using 3D CAD modelling and 2D drawing software provided
- To undertake when required, modification of drawings and components in line with Quality Assurance (QA) systems and procedures
- To generate and maintain parts lists/bills of materials and the control of approved copies in line with QA procedures
- To liaise with and supply requested approval drawings to certification bodies in a timely manner
- To have a working knowledge of relevant European and International standards and Directives
- To conduct the prototypes and/or modified component testing and the production and correct storage of test reports in a manner described in the QA procedures
- To provide technical assistance to the sale department or directly to customers in terms of product information, problem solving and application training when required
- To be familiar with and work in accordance with all quality assurance systems operated within CMP
- To create and deliver presentations to internal and external parties when required
- To work in a safe manner; driving positive behaviour and leading by example with regard to the company’s health, safety and environmental policies
- To carry out any other duties not listed above as may reasonably be expected
The successful candidate will have a suitable qualification in engineering or product design and will be highly skilled with 3D CAD modelling and producing technical drawings.
Experience in research and development and working with tight tolerances are essential. It would also be advantageous if the candidate had experience of working in a sheet metal fabrication, with specific experience of metal forming and welding techniques.
To ensure timely delivery of products to the market the candidate must have good organisation, problem solving and time management skills, as well as the ability to create innovative products, whilst still maintaining attention to detail.
Normal hours of work are 35 per week.
1 August 2021
If you do not have an email address, please forward a CV to HR Department, British Engines, Q6 Quorum Business Park, Benton Lane, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE12 8BT.This vacancy falls under our ‘refer a friend’ scheme. If you have been notified of this vacancy by a current employee of British Engines, please choose the option ‘refer a friend’ when stating where you heard about the vacancy.
If you have not been contacted within four weeks then your application has been unsuccessful this time.