An exciting opportunity has arisen at our site in Cramlington for three Design Engineers to work within our new Product Development department. These positions will be on a full time, permanent basis.
Reporting to the Product Development Manager, the Design Engineers will project manage the design and development of new and bespoke products from concept to market launch, as determined through business development and customer requirements. They will also assist in the delivery of key project milestones, as well as providing technical support to a number of internal and external stakeholders.
Duties will include
- To contribute to the completion of design and development projects in line with the approved stage gate process
- To plan out and manage project tasks to agreed timelines
- To use initiative to develop new products or design innovative solutions to improve the design of existing products from briefs provided
- To follow a patent process to protect innovative solutions and be able to review existing patents for infringement throughout the design process
- To prepare all technical drawings using 3D CAD modelling and 2D drawing software provided
- To undertake when required modification of drawings and components in line with quality assurance (QA) systems and procedures
- To generate and maintain parts lists/bill of materials and the control of approved copies in line with QA procedures
- To work to cost targets; value engineering parts by reducing material and optimising cycle times
- To liaise with the production engineering teams to produce cost estimates for the new products
- To prepare test samples and conduct testing in line with the requirements of each new product development at each stage of product development
- To plan out a test matrix for full validation of the product at each stage in the development
- To interpret the test results and conclusions and be able to present the summary to the team
- To generate test reports and store correctly in a manner described in the QA procedures
- To contribute with improvements to current test methods and equipment
- To assist the certification team in witnessed testing and producing approval drawings for third party certification bodies
- To provide technical assistance to the sales department and directly to customers in terms of product information, problem solving and application training when required
- To be familiar with and work in accordance with all quality assurance systems operated within CMP
- To promote a safe working environment by directly challenging or reporting unsafe practices and hazardous working conditions and by making suggestions where improvements can or should be made
- To work in a safe manner; driving positive behaviour and leading by example with regard to the company’s health, safety and environmental policies
- To carry out any other duties not listed above as may reasonably be expected
The successful candidates will have a suitable qualification in engineering or product design and will be highly skilled with 3D CAD modelling and producing technical drawings.
Experience in research and development and working with tight tolerances gained within a mechanical engineering environment are essential. It would also be advantageous if the candidates had experience of designing for manufacture of high volume turned, milled and injection moulded parts. Knowledge of relevant European and International Standards and Directives would also be beneficial.
To ensure timely delivery of products to the market they must have good organisation, problem solving and time management skills, as well as the ability to create innovative products, whilst still maintaining attention to detail.
As CMP are recruiting a number of Design Engineers, we are open to applications from recent graduates to place against some of those opportunities. Graduates who would like to be considered must be able to demonstrate they have the potential to develop into a Design Engineer. A relevant degree would therefore be essential.
Normal hours of work are 35 per week.
5th August 2021
This vacancy falls under our ‘refer a friend’ scheme. If you have been notified of this vacancy by a current employee of British Engines, please choose the option ‘refer a friend’ when stating where you heard about the vacancy.
If you do not have an email address, please forward a CV to HR Department, British Engines, Q6 Quorum Business Park, Benton Lane, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE12 8BT.
If you have not been contacted within four weeks then your application has been unsuccessful this time.