An exciting opportunity has arisen at our site at St. Peters, Newcastle upon Tyne for an EDM/ Tool Room Operative to join our growing business. This position will be on a full time, permanent basis.
Reporting to the Cell Manager, the operator will have the primary function of setting, programming and operating the EDM die sink and EDM wires. The operator will also be involved in undertaking duties associated with the setting, programming and operating of CNC tool grinders and also manual tool grinders. Previous tool grinding experience is desirable but not essential as training will be provided.
Duties will include
- To operate machinery to required quality standards and in accordance with engineering drawings and specifications
- To programme some machines to produce single, small batch or a series of components and finished products
- To work with a range of materials including exotic materials, nickel, super alloys, stainless steel, brass, duplex, aluminium and carbide
- To interpret engineering drawings and work with imperial and metric measures to ensure dimensional accuracy
- To use a range of measuring equipment and have a working knowledge of inspection procedures in order to undertake self-inspection
- To work as part of the machine shop team and interface with the production support departments including production control, engineering, and maintenance
- To operate computer systems for the recording of work activities
- To multi-man machines where practicable
- To support the training of apprentices and trainees
- Ensure that you work in a safe manner and comply with the company’s Health, Safety & Environmental Policy
- To carry out any other duties not listed above as may reasonably be expected
The successful candidate will have knowledge of production processes and systems with an understanding of engineering components.
Strong communication and problem solving skills are essential, as is a good knowledge of production processes and systems. They will demonstrate a positive, innovative and motivated approach to their work combined with an ability to work under pressure within time constraints.
This is an opportunity to join a well-established, progressive business where you can develop experience in an essential activity supporting our production facility.
Working hours are 37 per week
Please note that this role operates shift patterns which include nightshift.
What we offer:
- Employee assistance programme including WeCare wellbeing app
- Cycle to work scheme
- Car salary sacrifice scheme
- Holiday buy and sell
- BE Rewards discounts and cashback
- Pension scheme
- Training and development
- Free on-site parking
24 January 2022
Employment is subject to a Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) check.
This vacancy falls under our ‘refer a friend’ scheme. If you have been notified of this vacancy by a current employee of British Engines, please choose the option ‘refer a friend’ when stating where you heard about the vacancy.
If you do not have an email address, please forward a CV to HR Department, British Engines, Q6 Quorum Business Park, Benton Lane, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE12 8BT.
We welcome applications from all sections of the community.
If you have not been contacted within four weeks then your application has been unsuccessful this time.