An exciting opportunity has arisen at our site in Bishop Auckland for an HSE Advisor to join our growing business. This position will be on a full time, permanent basis (minimum of 3 days part time hours may be considered for a suitable candidate).
Reporting to the Production Manager this role has the primary function to support the company’s drive to achieve overall excellence for health, safety and environmental standards and legislative requirements whilst continuously seeking to identify, plan and execute programmes which result in sustained HSE improved performance.
Duties will include
- To advise and support those responsible for health, safety and environmental (HSE) activities to develop a culture that prioritises effective performance and shared ownership for health and safety and the environment throughout the company
- To proactively review and develop the current health and safety management system to ensure it continues to comply with the requirements of ISO45001
- To continuously review and maintain the ISO 14001 environmental management system
- To arrange and conduct HSE Inductions for new employees and external contractors working on site
- To work with the Group Head of HSE to ensure that policies, procedures and directives are fully adhered to within the company
- To review and audit internal HSE policies and procedures to ensure they are compliant, current and appropriate.
- To support audits from customers and third parties
- To identify areas for HSE improvement through analysis of current performance, and implementation of continuous improvement methods
- To provide written reports regarding HSE performance and attainment of key performance indicators on a regular basis
- To assist and support management to investigate all accidents, incidents and non-conformances and ensure that these are reported in the correct manner
- To assist in the implementation of corrective / preventative actions and ensure lessons learned are communicated throughout the company and incorporated into policies and procedures where required
- To devise and coordinate training programs and presentations which will increase proficiency in health, safety and environmental practices and promote greater HSE consciousness
- To actively support and participate in scheduling and running meetings to review HSE performance and policies
- To support management to fully engage the workforce, contractors and visitors so that those most likely to be hurt are actively engaged in eliminating the occurrences of unsafe behaviours
- To give regular focused feedback to all employees about on-going HSE performance at the point of observation; this may include daily/weekly toolbox talks with the support of area management
- To work in a safe manner; driving positive behaviour and leading by example with regard to the company’s health, safety and environmental policies
The successful candidate must have previous experience of working in a manufacturing environment, in depth knowledge of machine safety (PUWER 1998) and experience in the management of hazardous substances (COSHH).They will have a strong background in health, safety and environmental management systems with a minimum national examination board in occupational health (NEBOSH) general certificate preferably working towards or have diploma level. They must have experience of environmental management, institute of environmental management and assessment (IEMA) is preferred.
Candidates should be qualified as an internal or lead auditor and have experience of internal auditing in ISO45001 and/or ISO14001.
Excellent communication skills are essential as is the ability to make logical and quick decisions. They will have strong problem solving skills and demonstrate effective and efficient time management and able to work independently. Strong interpersonal and leadership skills are a must as is proficiency in using Microsoft Office and business systems.
Working hours are 38.75 per week (minimum of 3 days part time hours maybe be considered).
What we offer
The successful candidate will receive a ‘new starter’ payment of £375.00 after 6 continuous months of employment and a further £375.00 after 12 continuous months (payment is subject to the terms and conditions of the scheme).
- Employee assistance programme including WeCare wellbeing app
- Cycle to work scheme
- Car salary sacrifice scheme
- Pension scheme
- Training and development
- Free on-site parking
15 July 2022
If you do not have an email address, please forward a CV to HR Department, British Engines, Q6 Quorum Business Park, Benton Lane, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE12 8BT.
This vacancy falls under our ‘refer a friend’ scheme. If you have been notified of this vacancy by a current employee of British Engines, please choose the option ‘refer a friend’ when stating where you heard about the vacancy.
We welcome applications from all sections of the community.
If you have not been contacted within four weeks then your application has been unsuccessful this time.