An exciting opportunity has arisen at our site in Bishop Auckland for a Management Accountant to join our growing business. This position will be on a full time, permanent basis.
Reporting to the CEO the main responsibility in the role of Management Accountant at Stephenson Gobin is for the preparation of monthly management accounts and the group reporting pack. They will also be responsible for the provision of proactive accounting support to the operational and commercial teams, general cost control/management for the entire business; and responsibility for the integrity of the balance sheet. They will prepare monthly profit and cash forecasts and annual budgets.
The role will involve working closely with the CEO and will provide additional financial support to the operational and commercial teams.
Duties will include
- To maintain the highest standards of accounting integrity, ensuring that monthly management accounts comply with Generally Accepted Accounting Practice in the UK (UK GAAP) accounting standards and group accounting policies
- To manage the preparation of monthly management accounts, short-term forecasts and budgets in line with group reporting requirements and group reporting deadlines
- To prepare financial analysis and commentary for inclusion in the monthly management report, including collation and review of other report sections
- To regularly review and periodically update standard product costs
- To be responsible for setting standard costs of new products, in conjunction with the engineering department
- To obtain, interpret and analyse data and take a proactive role in helping the senior leadership team understand financial information
- To analyse and understand key trends for orders, sales, profit and cash, highlighting key issues and variances from budget and/or forecast for the senior leadership team
- To prepare ‘bridges’/analysis highlighting key movements between actual and budget/forecast
- To manage project data appropriately within the business system to ensure data integrity is maintained and financial results are prepared in line with UK GAAP and group policies
- To identify improvement initiatives within the business to improve profitability and cash flow focussing on aged debtors, cash collections and general cost control
- To have full responsibility for balance sheet reconciliations
- To have responsibility for year-end processes including ensuring year end stock counts are carried out appropriately and that inventory is valued appropriately on the balance sheet
- To liaise with the external auditors and tax advisors and to provide disclosure packs and tax analysis
- To submit and have responsibility for other monthly group reporting requirements including UK monthly VAT submissions
- To prepare financial data required for the Group insurance renewal – annual renewal
- To provide assistance to the in-house team with regard to the implementation of the new enterprise resource planning (ERP) system (IFS) and take responsibility for the financial aspects of the new ERP system
- To carry out any other duties not listed above as may reasonably be expected including but not limited to, ad hoc project work, review of slow moving stocks, general cost analysis to help drive continuous financial improvement, financial modelling scenarios
- To work in a safe manner; driving positive behaviour and leading by example with regard to the company’s health, safety and environmental policies
To succeed in this role applicants must have a minimum of 5 years’ relevant accounting experience, preferably in an operational environment. They must have strong technical accounting knowledge, practical experience of standard costing is preferred.
The successful candidate should be able to demonstrate excellent IT skills combined with an organised and analytical approach to work activities with strong attention to detail. They will have the ability to identify and articulate trends or issues and evaluate solutions. Good communications skills, both written and verbal are also essential together with the ability to work alone or as part of a team.
Hours of work will be 38.75 per week.
What we offer
The successful candidate will receive a ‘new starter’ payment of £375.00 after 6 continuous months of employment and a further £375.00 after 12 continuous months (payment is subject to the terms and conditions of the scheme).
- Employee assistance programme including WeCare wellbeing app
- Cycle to work scheme
- Car salary sacrifice scheme
- Pension scheme
- Free on-site parking
8 July 2022
If you do not have an email address, please forward a CV to HR Department, British Engines, Q6 Quorum Business Park, Benton Lane, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE12 8BT.
This vacancy falls under our ‘refer a friend’ scheme. If you have been notified of this vacancy by a current employee of British Engines, please choose the option ‘refer a friend’ when stating where you heard about the vacancy.
We welcome applications from all sections of the community.
If you have not been contacted within four weeks then your application has been unsuccessful this time.