An exciting opportunity has arisen at our site at St. Peters, Newcastle upon Tyne for a Management Accountant to join our growing business.
This position will be on a full time, permanent basis however part time hours will be considered.
Reporting directly to the Commercial Director, the main responsibility of the Management Accountant is for the preparation of monthly management accounts and group reporting pack. The successful candidate will also be responsible for project accounting, provision of accounting and financial support to the projects/commercial teams, general cost control/management; and responsibility for the integrity of the balance sheet. They will also prepare monthly profit and cash forecasts as well as annual budgets.
Duties will include
- To maintain the highest standards of accounting integrity, ensuring that monthly management accounts comply with UK GAAP accounting standards and group accounting policies
- To manage the preparation of monthly management accounts, short-term forecasts and budgets in line with group reporting requirements and group reporting deadlines
- To obtain, interpret and analyse data and take a proactive role in helping the senior leadership team understand financial information
- To analyse and understand key trends for orders, sales, profit and cash, highlighting key issues and variances from budget and/or forecast for the senior leadership team
- To prepare ‘bridges’/analysis highlighting key movements between actual and budget/forecast
- To manage project data appropriately within the business system to ensure data integrity is maintained and financial results are prepared in line with UK GAAP and group policies
- To prepare job cost information comparing estimate, “as sold”, and final outturn cost analysing variances; recommending corrective action where appropriate
- To undertake contract reviews with the projects team to ensure the financial status of jobs is understood and to take appropriate action to improve profit margins and cash flow
- To identify improvement initiatives within the business to improve profitability and cash flow focussing on aged debtors, cash collections and general cost control
- To have full responsibility for balance sheet reconciliations
- To prepare and analyse cash flows, including operating cash and accurate cash forecasts
- To have responsibility for year-end processes including ensuring year end stock counts are carried out appropriately and that inventory is valued appropriately on the balance sheet.
- To liaise with external auditors and tax advisors and to provide disclosure packs and tax analysis
- To submit and to have responsibility for other monthly group reporting requirements including UK monthly VAT submissions
- To forecast monthly foreign exchange cash
- To work in a safe manner; driving positive behaviour and leading by example with regard to the company’s health, safety and environmental policies
- To carry out any other duties not listed above as may reasonably be expected
The successful candidate must have a minimum of 3 years’ relevant accounting experience, preferably in an operational environment. They must also have strong technical accounting knowledge including practical experience of project accounting/job costing.
The successful candidate should be able to demonstrate excellent IT skills combined with an organised and analytical approach to work activities. They will demonstrate good communications skills, both written and verbal and have the ability to work alone or as part of a team. They must have the ability to identity and articulate trends or issues, and evaluate solutions.
Working hours are 35 per week (part time hours will be considered)
What we offer:
- Employee assistance programme including WeCare wellbeing app
- Cycle to work scheme
- Car salary sacrifice scheme
- Holiday buy and sell
- BE Rewards discounts and cashback
- Pension scheme
- Training and development
- Free on-site parking
3 December 2021
This vacancy falls under our ‘refer a friend’ scheme. If you have been notified of this vacancy by a current employee of British Engines, please choose the option ‘refer a friend’ when stating where you heard about the vacancy.
If you do not have an email address, please forward a CV to HR Department, British Engines, Q6 Quorum Business Park, Benton Lane, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE12 8BT.
We welcome applications from all sections of the community.
If you have not been contacted within four weeks then your application has been unsuccessful this time.