An exciting opportunity has arisen at our site at St. Peters, Newcastle upon Tyne for a Manufacturing Engineer to join our growing business. This position will be on a full time, permanent basis.
Reporting directly to the Manufacturing Engineering Manager, the Manufacturing Engineer will oversee the project from appointment at contract review stage through to handover to Quality Control. They will specifically focus on, but not be limited to, the creation of sound manufacturing methodology to ensure the most effective route through the machine shop. They will create high quality programs that run first time and are capable of producing the desired product. They will also ensure that the product is manufactured within the quoted hours and costs.
Duties will include
- To ensure all drawings and customer requirements are captured, understood and carried through into the manufacturing method
- To ensure CNC programs are produced and verified offline to run right first time when released to the shop floor
- To have a clear focus on ensuring that the manufacturing method chosen is capable of producing the product in the as sold hours, highlighting any instances where this is not deemed achievable
- To ensure that any fixturing or tooling required is designed and/or purchased in line with production requirements
- To provide the correct level of supporting documentation to ensure the successful manufacture of the product
- To communicate with operational management and shop floor personnel to ensure the manufacturing method is fully understood
- To utilise time on the shop floor to support manufacture of the product; ensuring machining strategies are being utilised effectively
- To liaise with customers when required and travelling where applicable
- To liaise with tooling suppliers to ensure that the business is utilising the latest technology available completing off site visits and training where required
- To support and train other members of the department when required
- To develop standard operating procedures for core components and processes
- To ensure that you work in a safe manner and comply with the company’s Health, Safety & Environmental Policy
- To carry out any other duties not listed above as may reasonably be expected
The successful candidate will have knowledge of production processes and systems and experience of EdgeCam or Siemens NX. Experience of 5-axis machining and/or programming would also be advantageous. An apprenticeship certificate in a relevant engineering discipline is preferred as is an HNC in mechanical engineering with a minimum of 5 years’ experience in a similar role.
Experience of working in one or more of the following sectors; nuclear (civil and defence), MOD and aerospace with the ability to produce 3D models and 2D drawing would be advantageous.
Excellent communication skills and the ability to interface with customers are essential for this role. The successful candidate must also demonstrate a positive, innovative and motivated approach to their work combined with an ability to work under pressure within time constraints.
Working hours are 37 per week.
Salary – up to £45,000 depending on experience
What we offer:
- Employee assistance programme including WeCare wellbeing app
- Cycle to work scheme
- Car salary sacrifice scheme
- Holiday buy and sell
- Pension scheme
- Training and development
The successful candidate will receive a ‘new starter’ payment of £375.00 after 6 continuous months of employment and a further £375.00 after 12 continuous months (payment is subject to the terms and conditions of the scheme).
1 July 2022
Employment is subject to a Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) check.
This vacancy falls under our ‘refer a friend’ scheme. If you have been notified of this vacancy by a current employee of British Engines, please choose the option ‘refer a friend’ when stating where you heard about the vacancy.
If you do not have an email address, please forward a CV to HR Department, British Engines, Q6 Quorum Business Park, Benton Lane, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE12 8BT.
We welcome applications from all sections of the community.
If you have not been contacted within four weeks then your application has been unsuccessful this time.