Reporting to the CEO, the Purchasing Manager will manage and develop the purchasing team procurement activities on a day to day basis, sourcing from UK and overseas suppliers. They will negotiate cost and lead time reductions with suppliers and provide procurement support to the purchasing team and supply chain management. The Purchasing Manager will be responsible for quality, cost and delivery (QCD) for allocated Bought Out Complete (BOC) suppliers. They will develop and implement continuous improvement activities.
Duties will include
- To manage procurement of materials, BOC parts, equipment and consumables to fulfil business requirements
- To manage the selection of potential suppliers for enquiry
- To analyse quotations from suppliers using all available tools and techniques and to expedite the quotations
- To select the most appropriate supplier using all available tools and procedures
- To gain purchase order approval as per level required
- To manage the ordering of supplier tooling as required
- To manage purchase orders to suppliers
- To expedite purchase orders including managing supplier status reports and delivery dates relative to sales order and Manufacturing Resource Planning (MRP) requirements
- To work with production ensuring raw material is booked into stock within an agreed time scale
- To resolve invoice queries raised by the accounts department
- To maintaining suppliers Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) for quality, cost and delivery
- To prepare data for the supplier vendor rating system
- To seek to recover financial loss caused by supplier related delivery or quality problems using the problem part investigation sheet
- To arrange and attend supplier meetings or visits to resolve any issues arising
- To identify opportunities for supplier reduction and introduce improvement initiatives to suppliers
- To assist with supplier development reviews to review QCD performance and set improvement targets and action plans
- To improve supplier performance by analysing KPIs for quality, cost and delivery and setting improvement targets
- To work with the Supply Chain Manager to complete supplier evaluation reports
- To obtain approval certificates and ensure all suppliers are added to the approved supplier list in the business system
- To maintain of delivery dates to ensure that sales order requirements and purchase orders are aligned in MRP
- To work with design department and suppliers in the value engineering of components purchased with a view to reduce cost and lead-time while maintaining the quality of the product
- To carry out cost saving exercises by negotiation with suppliers and document all
- To continually look for opportunities to reduce lead times
- To assist with supplier lead time reduction plans
- To negotiate lead-time reductions with suppliers
- To manage stock including purchase order reschedule and cancellation messages
- To participate in stock checks and ensure that the required purchasing activities are completed to plan
- To assist in supplier quality improvement plans
- To assist and resolve supplier quality issues and to work closely with the quality department
- To provide feedback on quality issues to suppliers and seek resolutions
- To continually seek improvements in purchasing department systems and processes
- To assist with Stores improvement activities
- To promote supplier improvement activity
- To identify improvements within supply chain
- To work in a safe manner; driving positive behaviour and leading by example with regard to the company’s health, safety and environmental policies
- To carry out any other duties not listed above as may reasonably be expected
The successful candidate will possess similar previous experience in an engineering and/or manufacturing organisation, and should have excellent knowledge of supply chain management. People management experience will be an advantage and desirably applicants will possess a relevant and recognised qualification such as CIPS.
It is also essential that the individual has a proven track record of successful negotiations based on a fact and data driven approach.
The candidate will have strong IT, communication and interpersonal skills. They will demonstrate excellent problem solving skills and have the ability to show initiative. A strong attention to detail is essential. The successful candidate will be self-motivated with the ability to develop and maintain strong supplier relationships with the ability to communicate to all management levels.
Hours of work will be 37 per week.
What we offer
The successful candidate will receive a ‘new starter’ payment of £375.00 after 6 continuous months of employment and a further £375.00 after 12 continuous months (payment is subject to the terms and conditions of the scheme).
- Employee assistance programme including WeCare wellbeing app
- Cycle to work scheme
- Car salary sacrifice scheme
- Holiday buy and sell
- Pension scheme
- Training and development
- Free on-site parking
31 August 2022
If you do not have an email address, please forward a CV to HR Department, British Engines, Q6 Quorum Business Park, Benton Lane, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE12 8BT.
This vacancy falls under our ‘refer a friend’ scheme. If you have been notified of this vacancy by a current employee of British Engines, please choose the option ‘refer a friend’ when stating where you heard about the vacancy.
We welcome applications from all sections of the community.
If you have not been contacted within four weeks then your application has been unsuccessful this time.