The successful candidate will be part of the Customer Support Repair Team and responsible for ensuring bearings are refurbished and assembled in accordance with quality procedures and customer requirements.
Duties will include
- Setting up and machining various bearing components including (but not limited to) journal pad sets, journal bushes, journal and thrust collars and baffles, to obtain desired drawing/design tolerances, in line with the associated quality and customer requirements.
- Using a variation of conventional machine tools including a 24” four jaw centre lathe and 48” vertical borer, as well as surface grinding and universal milling machines. Applying whitemetal and repair whitemetal to various bearing components such as thrust pads, journal pads, journal bushes, baffles etc. in line with the associated quality and customer requirements.
- Fitting and bedding activities in compliance with safe working practices.
- De-burring and identification of components in line with the associated quality and customer requirements.
- Stripping down and surveying bearings and associated equipment in line with company procedures.
- Ensuring that all work is carried out efficiently and is accurately recorded on the shop floor data collection system.
- Ensuring that all work is carried out in accordance with the associated shop orders/work-to lists and within the standard hours provided.
- Demonstrating that planned inspections and tests have been completed with satisfactory results recorded and/or identified on the necessary paperwork, as defined by the OPC requirements.
- Ensuring that the correct drawing is used and the appropriate tooling or inspection equipment is selected, with the correct calibration status..
- Co-operating with management and others to ensure that the company complies with current legislation, health and safety codes of practice on safe working and environmental requirements.
- Assisting in ensuring that good housekeeping standards are maintained (5‘s system).
- Ensuring quality standards are maintained throughout all activities of control.
- Complying with relevant departmental and company procedures.
The successful candidate will be time served in a mechanical engineering discipline and have fitting and machining experience ideally in the whitemetal industry, including applying and repairing whitemetal faced bearings. Candidates should also have knowledge of materials, in particular metals, and experience of using various national standards as well as knowledge of foundries, forges and fabrication shops. The candidate must also be competent in working safely with compressed gases and oxyacetylene gas torches. They must also be able to read and interpret engineering drawings/specifications and capable of developing an understanding of hydrodynamic bearing repair procedures.
HNC/HND would be an advantage.
Able to work shifts.
Employment is subject to a Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) check.
Possession of a full UK driving licence is essential.
They will demonstrate a positive, innovative and motivated approach to their work, combined with the ability to work under pressure and within time constraints, along with the ability to organise priorities and meet deadlines whilst being a good team worker and contribute to the ongoing performance of the department.